Saturday 29 September 2012

Generation Gap?


Generation Gap?

 

A couple of days ago, I was having lunch in a “family” type pub restaurant, one of a national chain, serving all day, which caters for volume and those seeking good value. I go there from time to time, and enjoy it, often turning up during the quieter period (after lunch, but before the evening crowd arrive).

 

Anyway, there I was, a couple of days ago having lunch with the missus on a particularly nice table for two overlooking a pond.

 

Perhaps oddly, we’d had exactly the same table a couple of weeks previously, and on that occasion my lunch had been slightly “dented” by the badly controlled kid on the table behind me, a puffy-faced tyke roughly 7 years old, at a guess, who’s idea of going out for a meal was to constantly fill a salad plate, plus his “never-ending” fizzy cola, and to see how many rolls he could balance on a small side plate. In other words, all the “help yourself to as many as you want” items.

 

His mum wasn’t bothered, in fact, she openly encouraged him by laughing at the piles of excess that he bought back to the table, and didn’t consume.

 

However, the thing that really annoyed me was the determined shove in the back, and the treading on my coat as he passed. Had it been me, (an adult of considerably greater size than “Little Johnny”) I would have been able to pass his chair without him even knowing. Just good manners, apart from anything else.

 

Had I been a wizard or Genie I’d have cast a suitable spell that brought realisation to the kid and maybe helped his future prospects. Turned him to a Pig or similar! (only for a bit!).

 

Which brings me neatly back to yesterday, wife and I sitting at the aforementioned table, enjoying our meal, watching the goldfish, when again, I was barged in the back by a kid on the table behind. This time, the culprit was a snooty-faced blonde girl of about six or seven in a blue school uniform, a little bigger than I remember “Little Johnny” had been, but no less active or annoying. From her expression she’d been told that she could do no wrong, and again her mum did nothing to correct her as she jogged backwards and forwards collecting fizzy drinks, and bread like a squirrel stocking for a cold winter.

 

What a difference there is between children these days, and what a difference between parents.

 

When I went to school, whatever our background, whoever we were, we were moulded as one, generally by a seriously outnumbered teacher, but despite this, discipline was enforced. Any thought that we could do as we liked was soon dashed, whilst we also learnt respect for elders.

 

The reduction of convention over the years (rightly so, in my opinion) has meant that everyone these days is able to pick and choose for themselves. Unfortunately, we haven’t really addressed the fact that with greater freedom you need greater individual responsibility.

 

As for manners…….

4 comments:

  1. I agree not pleasant eating in these places.Help yourself turns people into hungry pigs at a trough.Breakfast time spoilt by folks drinking pints of beer. I like a drink but....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the slow reply. Good of you to take the time to read my blog, I hope that you enjoyed reading it.

      Delete
  2. I'm right there with you. I have a son of 12 and a daughter of 4 and they will not become the run away child at restaurants.
    When we go somewhere nice they sit, they talk quietly and they try (well are made to) things off the menu that will challenge them. To balance that we take them to E numbered, repugnant, over priced, microwaved nosh barns that allow them to run riot. And we make it clear there is a distinction. We don't want to have to exclude them from nice meals because of a lack of control on our part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my blog. It's good to know that people do, and leaving a comment is most welcome, thanks for that too.

      It sounds as though you've got the art of parenting pretty well sorted, well done for that.

      When I started at Kindergaten (now called "pre-school" I think, in those days (early 50's) they adopted the German name, perhaps oddly), we were read stories with morals.

      One that they read many times (The Water Babies?) involved a person by the name of "Do as you would be Done by", and that stuck in my mind. Its always been a key philosophy for me and one I think that would work excellently for all.

      Delete